Thursday 25 January 2018

Review: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's TaleThe Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one function: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire – neither Offred's nor that of the two men on which her future hangs.

Brilliantly conceived and executed, this powerful evocation of twenty-first-century America gives full rein to Margaret Atwood's devastating irony, wit and astute perception.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

I really don't know where to start with this review... I loved it, that I know, but given its content it  feels really weird saying I loved it. I'm not gonna lie, I found this story by way of the tv adaptation and I knew I needed to read the actual story. When I happened upon the book with this beautiful cover in my local bookstore just after Christmas I had to buy it. Since then this book has sat on my shelf calling to me, so much so that I have been unable to read any other book. Once opened I was able to fall in to Offred's world quickly, albeit a little uncomfortable. I dont think anyone could read this book comfortably. The subject matter doesnt allow for comfort.

Atwood has done a remarkable job writing Offreds story, she has mixed just enough religious and political history to make this story quite believable and that is what makes this book one of the scariest books I have read for a while. This is the first time I have read anything by Atwood but I will definitely be looking to pick up more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.