Thursday 30 November 2017

Review: Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard

Beautiful Broken Things
I was brave
She was reckless
We were trouble


Best friends Caddy and Rosie are inseparable. Their differences have brought them closer, but as she turns sixteen Caddy begins to wish she could be a bit more like Rosie – confident, funny and interesting. Then Suzanne comes into their lives: beautiful, damaged, exciting and mysterious, and things get a whole lot more complicated. As Suzanne’s past is revealed and her present begins to unravel, Caddy begins to see how much fun a little trouble can be. But the course of both friendship and recovery is rougher than either girl realises, and Caddy is about to learn that downward spirals have a momentum of their own.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

I've heard people talking about this book for a while, having only heard good things about it, so when I finally got round to picking it up I opted for the audio version as it was narrated by Charlie Sanderson, I've listened to other books she's narrated and I love the emotion she brings to the story.
This is my first book by Sara Barnard though so despite the recommendations I really had no idea what to expect.

I loved Caddy right away, I think many years ago I was Caddy, longing to experience all the things the world tells us we should be experiencing, wanting to be more interesting, but not knowing how to do that. But I felt like Caddy was lost, looking for purpose. When Caddys best friend Rosie first introduces her to Suzanne Caddy is incredibly insecure, worried that she'll lose Rosie to the more confidant, more beautiful Suzanne. But when Caddy learns Suzannes secret she begins to realise that perhaps maybe there's room for another friend in her life.

Beautiful Broken Things was indeed a fantastic read, filled with the highs and lows of friendships, happy moments, sad moments, utterly heartbreaking moments and all the real moments in between. Barnard has given us an in-depth look at the lives of three girls who have more than just boys on their mind, despite Caddys determination to lose her virginity, and has gotten to the nitty gritty of Suzannes secret, but without sensationalising it or diminishing its impact. And without waving a magic wand and making it all better. I will certainly be looking to purchase a paperback copy for my shelf and will be looking out for more from Barnard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.