Friday 2 June 2017

Review- Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around—and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance or lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

Welcome to Weep.

Staceys review 5 of 5 stars

Thank you Laini Taylor for taking me out of my own head and into the dreams of Lazlo Strange....

I absolutely loved this book! I admit at first I felt awkward trying to plunder my way through the text as I often do with books- racing to the end. Ms. Taylor does not allow the reader to do that- and when I read reviews that rate the novel lower, what I'm seeing is this frustration from the reader: that the story is 'all over the place' with 'too much description' slowing down the story.
But this, I feel, is the point. In a world where things are so darned immediate and where we are constantly rushing from one activity to another (and multitasking while in transit...), Ms. Taylor reminds us to just slow down and focus on this one thing- this beautiful story.
Once I was able to do that- shut down my racing, literal mind that seems to always have 'mental apps' running in the background I was able to appreciate Strange The Dreamer for what it was for me- a truly sensual experience. I soaked in the colors and fairy tales and scenes as described from multiple characters' viewpoints. I didn't rush to try to figure out who the orphaned Lazlo really was (although I had my suspicions!) and allowed it all to unfold as the author intended it to. I released control and immersed myself in a modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet (with a magical twist!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.