Thursday 9 February 2017

Review: The Breakdown by B.A. Paris

The Breakdown
If you can’t trust yourself, who can you trust?

Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods, on the winding rural road, in the middle of a downpour, with the woman sitting inside―the woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It’s a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she’d broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she’d stopped.

But since then, she’s been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn’t have a baby.

The only thing she can’t forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt.

Or the silent calls she’s receiving, or the feeling that someone’s watching her…

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

This is without a doubt a 5 star read. And I want to rave about how well Paris has written certain aspects of the story but I cant because its a huge spoiler, one that I discovered just as I was sitting down to read the book and it was constantly there in the back of my head so I was waiting for it... and I refuse to spoil anyone else's enjoyment. So no spoilers from me.

This is my first time reading a book by BA Paris, but after devouring The Breakdown in one day I think its safe to say I shall be reading her other book Behind Closed Doors. The Breakdown was such an easy book to sit down and read. Even with Cass being an unreliable narrator, sometimes if not done well it can have a jarring effect on the flow, but thankfully that is not the case here. And to be honest I think Cass's inability to trust herself makes the book all the more interesting. Because we only ever get Cass's POV you never really know who is telling the truth and therefore who we can trust. Which all makes for fantastic reading.

I cant recommend this book enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.