Tuesday 10 January 2017

Review: This Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas

16140036Young interior designer Ava O’Shea has an appointment for a first consultation at The Manor with the owner, Mr Jesse Ward. She is expecting nothing more than an overweight, cravat wearing, well-to-do countryman, and on arrival, nothing would suggest otherwise. How wrong could she be? 
This Man is devastatingly handsome, charming and confident. He is also a conceited, hedonistic playboy, who knows no boundaries. Ava desperately does not want to be attracted to him, but she can’t control the overwhelming effect he has on her. Every instinct is telling her to run, so she does, but Jesse Ward is not so willing to let her go. He wants her and is determined to have her. She knows she is heading for heartbreak, but how can she run when he won’t let her?


Ikira's Review 3 of 5 stars

This book was a random selection via Kindle from the 'free' section as I was looking for something to get me back into the swing of reading after a break. The synopsis grabbed my attention. I was expecting something of a romance - a devastatingly handsome, charming and confident man who desperately wants a young, professional woman - seemed right up my street.

From the outset, I was enjoying the read. The author writes well, is very illustrative in her writing and I felt we would get on very well indeed. After a while, the minute detail actually started to make the story drag a little and I have to admit to skim-reading somewhat, ignoring some of the unnecessary detail. I hate when I have to do that and so I did put it down for a day but then I wanted to know what would happen next - it had gotten me hooked in!

Once Ava and Jesse met, the chase was well and truly on. Ava ran and Jesse followed, he fought for her in a way which would only ever happen in a book. He takes things to extremes and Ava understandably wants to keep running...she tries and fails. The magnetism between the two of them is clear. It's exceptionally lusty and very sexual and while I have nothing against that, it's not what I expected from the synopsis. 


Overall, the characters and writing are book-worthy, not the romantic, heartbreaking love story I was expecting but not a bad read if you're into the more fantastical/sexual side of reading this book leans towards.

There are two more books in the series and I do want to read the next one which I believe follows a similar storyline from Jesse's point of view. I feel I need to know what makes him tick, why he took things to such extreme measures and why he simply couldn't let Ava go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.