Thursday 21 July 2016

Review: Making Faces by Amy Harmon

Making Faces

Ambrose Young was beautiful. He was tall and muscular, with hair that touched his shoulders and eyes that burned right through you. The kind of beautiful that graced the covers of romance novels, and Fern Taylor would know. She'd been reading them since she was thirteen. But maybe because he was so beautiful he was never someone Fern thought she could have...until he wasn't beautiful anymore.

Making Faces is the story of a small town where five young men go off to war, and only one comes back. It is the story of loss. Collective loss, individual loss, loss of beauty, loss of life, loss of identity. It is the tale of one girl's love for a broken boy, and a wounded warrior's love for an unremarkable girl. This is a story of friendship that overcomes heartache, heroism that defies the common definitions, and a modern tale of Beauty and the Beastwhere we discover that there is little beauty and a little beast in all of us.
 


Kerry's 5 out of 5 star review

I have had a sample of this book on my kindle for so long I don't know why I haven't read it sooner. The last three books I have read all made me cry, this one was no different.
Making faces is the story of Fern, Bailey and Ambrose. A story of love and loss that is so wonderfully written even though it is heartbreaking I found myself laughing so much at the friendship between all of them.
Bailey has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy but this doesn't stop him living his life to the fullest extent possible. I loved absolutely everything about him he was kind he was loving but most of all he was so funny I just wish he could have got the girl that would have made it perfect.
Fern is the most compassionate person I have ever read about but in no way does it make her boring she is the most down to earth loving person and Ambrose is lucky to have her.
Ambrose is your typical jock but he isn't a bully which is always a plus. When he enlisted for the army I was so scared for him and his friends. He has a lot of obstacles to overcome later in the book and I am so glad he had Fern and Bailey there to help him.
I am lucky enough to get to meet Amy Harmon in July and I can't wait to purchase this book in paperback and get is signed. This is the first book I have read by the author and certainly won't be the last I have Law Of Moses downloaded waiting for me to jump right in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.