Friday 27 May 2016

Spotlight and Review: Love, Lies and Hocus Pocus by Lydia Sherrer

Saving the world is such a bother when it makes you late for tea.
By day, book-loving wizard Lily Singer manages library archives. By night? She sleeps, of course. In between, she studies magic and tries to keep her witch friend Sebastian out of trouble. Much to her displeasure, he finds it anyway and drags her along with him.
From unmaking ancient curses to rescuing a town lost in time, Lily and Sebastian fight to avert magical mayhem. Meanwhile, Lily s mysterious past begins to unfold a past hidden from her by those she trusts most. Will she be able to discover the truth despite them?

Clare's Review 5 of 5 stars

This book is the first in this series and introduces us to Lily Singer who is a wizard and her friend Sebastian who is a witch! We follow the two of them as they get in to mischief and mayhem and save the world a little bit at a time. To everyone who isn't magical Lily, a true bookworm, is a librarian at the local university where she manages the archives and Sebastian is her sweet but over confident friend, when the world isn't looking though they are practicing magic and Sebastian who means well tends to get them both into lots of trouble!

Lily comes across as a sweet but no nonsense character who has an obvious soft spot for Sebastian, even though it's clear she won't admit it. I love this character, she's well written, funny and sounds somewhat like me! I fell in love with her immediately, especially when she states her tendency to get her hair caught in her glasses and her need to be curled up with a book hidden away from the world.

Sebastian is almost the complete opposite, he's overconfident, a little bit crazy and doesn't seem to care at all, although I suspect his soft spot for Lily will change that. Even though Sebastian is the opposite of Lily I still enjoyed his character, he is witty and clever and I felt sorry for him a couple of times, I can see him doing well if he can behave himself and resist his impulses!

Overall I really enjoyed this story, there were plenty of laugh out loud moments and I really felt I connected with the character and that they connected well with each other. The story flows well and I thoroughly enjoyed this quirky new take on the paranormal genre.

Kerry's Review 4 out of 5 stars

This is book one in the series about Lilly and Sebastian. It has been so long since I read a paranormal book it isn't what I normally go for but I'm glad I said yes to read this one. There was so much laugh out loud moments I absolutely love Sebastian his carefree nature is easy to relate to. I would do anything for a job like Lilly's working in a library. When I first started reading I was a bit confused by Lilly being a wizard and Sebastian being a witch but it soon made sense when it was all explained. I really enjoyed this book it was an easy carefree read I would recommend it anyone who needs a good laugh with some nail biting moments.
**********


Lydia Sherrer is an author whose goal is to leave the world a better place than when she found it. Growing up in rural Kentucky, she was thoroughly corrupted by a deep love for its particular brand of rolling countryside, despite all the mosquitoes and hay fever. She was instilled with a craving for literature early on, and her parents had to wrestle books away from her at the dinner table. Though she graduated with a dual BA in Chinese and Arabic, having traveled the world, she came home and decided to stay there. She currently resides in Louisville, KY, with her loving and supportive husband and their very vocal cat.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lydiasherrerauthor/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LydiaSherrer
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15009385.Lydia_Sherrer

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.