Friday 13 May 2016

A World of my Own by Becca Bates

Teen Fiction: A World of My Own - A Short Story Fantasy for All Ages
A rough life leaves Marie desperate for a way of escape. When she and her secret crush find a portal to the magical land of Sonara, it seems she has found just that. Now, she has everything she could want except the sister she left behind. Determined to save her from their abusive stepfather, Marie sets out to bring her sister with her to a new home, but Sonara may not be the idyllic land she dreamed of.

Ikira's review 3 of 5 stars

I really loved the concept of this story and as my first novella, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Of course, I knew the story would have to be fast paced in order to complete a story in so few pages so with an open mind, I opened the story in my kindle. 

To begin with, the story seemed well paced and well written, I enjoyed getting to know Marie and her backstory a little - her little crush made her very real and her story made her need to escape in any way possible entirely understandable. 

Once we got to know Marie, the pace picked up and I found it baffling initially - I couldn't understand the sudden change but carried on. The land of Sonara definitely seemed magical and I wanted much much more of that - the twist on that side of the story was unexpected and a little confusing but clever of the writer. 

After what felt like only a couple of pages on Sonara, it was over and I was left feeling somewhat disappointed - again, the pace was fast. 

Overall, I enjoyed the story and I think it could have been so much more, and better if it were extended to a full novel. The write definitely has talent, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.