Monday 28 March 2016

Review: Who's That Girl? by Mhairi McFarlane

Who's That Girl?
What’s the one thing you do at a wedding? Kiss your groom. What’s the one thing you DON’T do at a wedding? Kiss someone else’s groom.
When Edie is caught in a compromising position at her colleagues’ wedding, all the blame falls on her – turns out that personal popularity in the office is not that different from your schooldays, and if the groom is the head boy, Edie is closer to the geek with NHS glasses and purple braces. Ostracised by her colleagues, her boss suggests an extended sabbatical and has the perfect project to fill it – ghostwriting an autobiography for hot new talent, Elliot Owen. All she has to do is keep her head down, get on with the star and not snog him. Easy, right?
Wrong. Banished back to her home town of Nottingham, Edie is not only dealing with a megabrat of epic proportions but also facing the ghosts of her past as she moves back in with her widowed father and layabout sister. As she questions the woman she has become, Edie realises that turning to look at her past is not just painful – it could potentially change her future.

An achingly funny story from the author of the bestselling YOU HAD ME AT HELLO

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars


I loved Edie. Right from the very beginning. Even though I wanted her to stand up for herself and declare Jack to be a pig and inform everyone that she was as much a victim as Charlotte was at the wedding. I wasn't impressed with her trying to slink off and stay hidden from everyone, although admittedly if I was in her shoes I would have done the same. Trying to rebuild back in Nottingham has it's ups and downs and I love that she slowly begins to gain confidence in who she is and what she wants. With a little help from her friends.
Elliot definitely came across as a bit of a diva when we first meet him, but he was soon proving us wrong on that one. It was quite nice not seeing anything from his POV but at the same time still being able to pick up on his feelings towards Edie, that she clearly wasn't seeing. I kept waiting for him to tell her, but I loved that he waited for her instead.

This book is described as an achingly funny story and that it is. This will have you laughing on one page and crying in the next. There were more than a few tear stained pages in my copy by the time I was finished..
This is the first time I have read anything written by McFarlane and if everything she writes is like this then I need to find some money for my book budget and snap them all up. This book was engaging from the very beginning, no waiting. I picked it up with the intention of only reading a couple of chapters and before I knew it the day had gone and I was half way through the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.