Wednesday 3 February 2016

Review: Deviant by Jaimie Roberts

Deviant (Deviant, #1)
Most fairy tales end with a happily ever after.

This is not a fairy tale. He is not her Prince Charming about to whisk her away into the sunset. This is a story about betrayal, lust, desire and, ultimately, revenge...
And revenge can only lead to one thing.
Tyler
He was my stranger, my visitor, my shadow in the corner of my room. He stalked me, watched me, knew everything about me. But all I could do was sit and wait. I waited for him to visit me night after night. He was becoming my addiction, my craving, my obsession. He knew every inch of me, but I knew nothing about him.
His calls himself Lotus and, as crazy as it sounds, I think I’m falling in love.
Dean
I wanted to take her, possess her, dominate her, and ruin her. I wanted to ravish her, please her, and consume her until I couldn’t take much more of her.
She will want me to kiss her. She will want me to hold her all night so that she feels a connection with me. I would make it so that she would seek me out in the dark. The one that satisfies her ultimate fantasy. A stranger who sneaks into her room. Someone who gives her the ultimate pleasure, but also seeks to give her ultimate pain. Pain she has never had to endure. Pain that will eat away at her until there is nothing left.
She was my nemesis, I was her lotus. And payback was a bitch

Ikira's Review 4 of 5 stars


Firstly, I have to say I have issues with the 'back and forth' writing style where the character remembers something from the past which will suddenly become relevant in this coming chapter - I find it's more for the lazy reader who doesn't remember chapter one by the time they reach chapter six. That's the format of this book.  I often struggle with alternating between character point of view - it often feels repetitive to me. Again, that's how this book is written.
(I do fully realise my POV on that is quite old fashioned but there it is.)

Fortunately, I don't often put a book down because of personal taste in formatting and writing styles...I like a challenge!


So...I liked it. The characters were believable and considering the almost certainly 'bonkers' main character, that's impressive! (Read it, you'll know what I mean but I won't give it away).

The story was impressive actually, totally new and different. Disturbing, odd, unexpected and even quirky...definitely kinky but well written...impressive. The author has a way of making you question yourself. "How would I react to that?", "I'd never do that...would I?" and even hides a few hints and tips on personal safety - all this without losing the storyline and keeping on track. 

The final twist was awesome! The only thing which could make that part any better would be leaving out the chapter with no name (try it, when you see the really tiny chapter with no name, don't read it, skip on by...read it at the end to see what I mean). I almost didn't see it coming at all and it was fab!

The reason, this is a 4, not a 5 for me is that there was a lack of scene setting for me. There were elements of course, but not enough. There wasn't enough detail; the description of colours, smells, sunshine or breezes, hot or cold and all that other lovely good stuff we all experience daily, it was all just lacking for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.