Monday 26 January 2015

Beta Review: Starblind by DT Dyllin

Starblind (Starblind #1)
Owner of the Chimay grade starship dubbed The Pittsburgh; Captain Jane Sevis is one of the best bounty hunters in the galaxy. Except for the occasional problematic hunt, her life is pretty uncomplicated. When a particularly slippery target reveals the real reason for being in her database, her world is turned upside down in more ways than one. Will she follow her gut and look the other way for the man she may be falling for? Or will their love fall prey to her mercenary heart before it gets a real chance to ignite?

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

Once again Dyllin gives us a great read. For me this was another of those 'Dyllin wrote it so I have to read it' moments, I knew it was sci-fi/fantasy/romance but that was it, I went in completely unprepared and I loved it. Every bit of it.

I loved Jane, our main character. She has issues but she is feisty and tries not to let her past hold her back. She has a huge love for Earth items, though she may be a little misguided about what passes for Earth fashions, but in a world where Earth no longer exists who can blame her. See Jane is human with a little something unknown mixed in (known as splicing) and since her other part is unknown she tries to cling to the only part of her heritage that she knows.

It would be acceptable to write Jane's story and only vaguely mention a few other species, but Dyllin goes one better and writes in several different species, and they get more than a cursory glance. Jane's friends, her crew, are all different species, all with their own abilities, features and personalities.

I mentioned that this was a romance, and while it is a big feature of the story it is not the entire story. It is also not an insta-love story. There is an instant mutual attraction, but the building of the romance is gradual.

Claire's Review 5 of 5 Stars

I will be the first to admit that I'm not a big fan of sci fi as a genre and at first I was a bit apprehensive jumping into this, but knowing that I have loved the authors other books I decided to give it a go, going in completely blind, not knowing anything else except that it was a sci fi romance. However I'm glad to say I was wrong as I absolutely loved Starblind!

Starblind was so easy to read and fall into, I found myself hooked from the first chapter!! Jane is a great fun character with an obsession with all things earthly as she is half human and the other half unknown. All the characters are well written and thought out, given us a good feel of the world they live in, and all the different species involved.

I wont say more as I don't want to spoil any of it, but I can't recommend this enough!

Due for release today

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.