Sunday 31 August 2014

Review: Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith

Wreck This Journal
For anyone who's ever wished to, but had trouble starting, keeping, or finishing a journal or sketchbook comes Wreck This Journal, an illustrated book that features a subversive collection of prompts, asking readers to muster up their best mistake- and mess-making abilities to fill the pages of the book (and destroy them). Acclaimed illustrator Keri Smith encourages journalers to engage in "destructive" acts-poking holes through pages, adding photos and defacing them, painting with coffee, and more-in order to experience the true creative process. Readers discover a new way of art and journal making-and new ways to escape the fear of the blank page and fully engage in the creative process.

Shona's review 5 of 5 stars

I haven't had this book more than a few hours and I love it already.

I'm one of those people who is really careful with books, I don't dog-ear the pages to remind myself where I stopped reading, I don't open the pages overly wide for fear of damaging the spine... and I most certainly do not allow food and drink items to come anywhere near my beloved books. Until now.

Who knew bending the spine open or doodling in the pages of the book whilst watching TV could be so satisfying. I have to admit that tearing strips out of a page was strangely satisfying...

Although every copy has the exact same instructions on each page the instructions are open to interpretation, so no two books will be alike. My daughter and I actually had an argument as to what was the best way to complete one of the pages. I of course won because it is MY book. If she's lucky I might get her one of her own.

Each page has simple instructions.. such as 'colour this entire page' or 'collect the letter W here' or 'Roll the journal down a large hill'. The instructions are open to interpretation and encourage you to be artistic whilst being destructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. Don't be shy, say hi.